Saturday, August 24, 2013

Getting the buy in

When someone starts something new, sometimes the hardest thing is to get others to jump on board with you.  That is what I am getting ready to embark on this week, especially in my level II.  I am jumping into the flipped classroom.  I want to use my class time for much more meaningful activities that get students using the language in everyday settings.

I pose this questions, what is going to make the students buy in to this new topic?  I could answer this by saying that they will be intrinsically motivated and just love Spanish enough to do this.  However, I know teenagers, and that is just not the case.  The one thing that will get them to buy in will be one thing and one thing only.......ME!

The students are not going to buy in unless I am committed and I am passionate about how this is going to work.  If I have the attitude like this is just something I hope works, the students will not jump on board.  They will think, "If he doesn't believe in this, why should we?"

They would be right.  My passion and belief in this concept will be key to this journey being a success.  I do know that it will be different for them to get use to and that it will push their comfort zone of setting in class having information fed to them.  That's the point to this.  I want them out of their comfort zone.  This is exactly what a foreign language is about.  Pushing students out of their bubble.

Getting my students to realize that they can communicate with me and the others in Spanish and can get their point across.  They will see a tremendous improvement in their abilities.

Just like the movie Ratatouille and chef Gusteau's famous saying "Anyone can cook,"  I believe anyone can learn a second language.  It just takes the right attitude and support!

I find my support from my wonderful PLN who gives advice and support.  It is a great thing to be able to reach out to others who are just as passionate as you are in the same areas.  It is something that you may not have available in the building you teach.

One final thought for now, I hope my students see me unsatisfied in the status quo.  I want them to realize that one should never be satisfied.  There is always something more worth reaching for!  GREATNESS!  It is always there and just a bit out of reach, and my passion will continue to push my students towards GREATNESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment